About Me

My photo
I used to be aircraft mechanic and now I'm a homemaker. I love to garden, play with my kids, hang out with my husband, bake bread (some is good some isn't), travel, and eat.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Things I Never Thought I Would Say

I never thought I would be happy about a school break ending.  I am.  This points out one of the many, many reasons I don't home school.  I do not have the patience or level temperament.  Bear needs to be focused and going constantly.  I know even his teacher seems to have a tough time keeping him going. 


After five days of being home we were all a little stir-crazy.  This morning Bear came bounding into our room and 6:30 a.m. saying, "Mom, Dad, time to wake up.  I need to go to school."  All said as he's clapping to make more noise.  He happily got dressed and ate breakfast in record time.  He was very happy to be going back to school.


I have to hand it to the kid.  He is brave and very much his own person too.  A while back we actually got a decent amount of snow.  He has misplaced his black snow pants so I dug out a pair that Mia had gotten some time back that were his size.  Great! Now he can go play in the snow here at home.


Well, then he wanted to take them to school with him.  No problem except that they are pink.  Very pink.  I'm thinking the other kids will give him a hard time and I tell him it maybe isn't the best idea.  He was determined, so I let him take them with him.  Sure enough, a couple kids gave him a hard time.  They said something about being girly and his reply was, "I don't care.  I like them."  And he continued to wear them.  Then a day or so later one of the older kids that had given him a hard time told him that pink was also that kid's favorite color.  I was very proud of Bear.  He is such a confident kid and really doesn't seem to care what others think of him.  In fact, he seems to be the kid who is going to be the trend-setter because he is brave enough to wear whatever he wants.


In all this he reminds me very much of my dad.  My dad never changed who he was for anyone.  Much as we all would have liked him to sometimes.  My dad would never do what the crowd said needed to be done and he bucked every fad in the book.  I have a feeling this will be Bear as well.   I'm okay with that even if I might be mortified at times. 



No comments:

Post a Comment