Easy right? Wrong. Well, mixing it up was. So was leaving it to bubble and ferment in a warm spot. I mixed the flour, water, yeast, and sugar. I put it in a container above my stove since I knew it would be warm in the cupbard there. I was making Navy bean and ham soup. I went into the living room with Bear and vaccuumed or something that took a little bit of time, but not tons. When I went back into the kitchen to stir the soup there was some sort of dough on my teapot. I couldn't remember spilling any while I was putting the starter up. I looked up and when I opened the cupboard I found this:
Saturday, December 27, 2008
Sourdough Monster
I decided to try making a sourdough starter. Now you have to understand that I generally haven't cooked a whole lot in my lifetime and I haven't played with sourdough other than the Amish Friendship Bread that gets passed around for awhile. I have found several recipes for the starter here lately and since I've been experimenting with baking bread I thought I'd give it a whirl.



This was Bear watching me clean up the mess. He wasn't too sure about the crazy growing stuff. Neither was I to be honest. At least I was able to rescue most of the starter. We'll see if I can make bread with it. At least I know my yeast is good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Kat,
ReplyDeleteGet in touch with Mary. She is the sourdough queen! She can get you started in the right direction.
I have a great recipe for "Dilly Bread" --not sourdough based but always a favorite. Let me know if you want me to send it!
Love,
Ginna
Hey Katrina,
ReplyDeleteLooks like your yeast is indeed active. :) I love those pictures, esp. the look on Bear's face.
I am not the SD Queen, but I have a starter I got from the SD guy: http://www.sourdo.com/
and here is a site with lots of information about making your own starter, etc.: http://samartha.net/SD/index.html
I'm sure your yeast mixture will make some bread. Keep us posted!
Love,
Mary