About Me

My photo
I used to be aircraft mechanic and now I'm a homemaker. I love to garden, play with my kids, hang out with my husband, bake bread (some is good some isn't), travel, and eat.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Projects

With being at home and still feeling the need to use my hands I've been working on some random sewing projects that I've wanted to get to. I've made a few diaper liners, one diaper (I have more but haven't gotten to them yet), and I made my first attempt at a quilt. I've never done much sewing and I dislike using patterns. There is a reason for them though. I made a t-shirt quilt for Bear out Tom and I's old airplane t-shirts. I completely eye-balled the cuts and stitching so there are some funky lines and it isn't even close to square. Still... not bad for a first attempt.

Shoot I'm just happy to have figured out how to thread my sewing machine. It has been a fun project. Being t-shirts it went pretty quickly too once everything was cut out. Of course things like using measurements, having a layout table, and having a real sewing room all would have helped. One of my goals though with this was to do it with spending very little money. I did end up buying a set of pinking shears and the batting and I still need to get some sort of ribbon to edge the quilt. But all together I will have spent only about $50 bucks for the whole thing and about $20 of that was the pinking shears which I won't have to spend again.

Here's the quilt minus the edging since I haven't gotten that yet. Otherwise it is done. I would say it ended up being almost a twin size.


1 comment:

  1. Very nice! That is so great that you can sew! My husband sews on his own buttons (and mine) when they fall off because I am a horrible at sewing.

    Your baby is getting bigger! What a doll!

    ReplyDelete