About Me

My photo
I used to be aircraft mechanic and now I'm a homemaker. I love to garden, play with my kids, hang out with my husband, bake bread (some is good some isn't), travel, and eat.

Monday, August 20, 2012

Housing

Sometimes an inheritance is not all that you hoped it would be. *sigh*  I inherited a house a few years back and I've had to put some major money into just to really truly get it.  And now in order to sell it I'm going to have to dump more money into because the guy who was there didn't take care of it.  Of course it is money I don't really have to dump into it.  Grrrr...  I'm hoping the place will actually sell within a reasonable amount of time and then hopefully I'll make some money.  Right now though it isn't feeling very good to be sending out large chunks of money. 

Oh well.  Enough venting I suppose.  Just needed that off my chest so I can get on with emptying the coffers. :)  Our house here in NE is getting better.  We ripped out the awful carpets this weekend.  We are both a bit sore and it was a lot of work but boy does the house smell better.  Now I might actually begin to like the place.  Despite two busy roads that surround us. 

The place does have an awesome chicken coop though.  It needs lots of clean up and a few repairs, but I'll be able to get chickens!  It will be nice to not have to chase down someone else for fresh eggs.  Speaking of... we went to the little (tiny) farmer's market here.  There was some good stuff, just not many vendors.  A rather stark difference from the 3 different markets (those are the main ones) in Missoula.  It was nice though. 

We purchased:

A loaf of bacon bleu cheese bread
a dozen eggs
2 whole chickens
a pound of breakfast sausage
a honey comb
a 2 oz honey bear
and 3 tomatoes

I think we might have spent $40 total.  With coffee (before market) and books (after market) we might have spent around $50 bucks for the day.  Not bad considering what we got.  I managed to hit the sale on the chickens at $2 per pound.  Great price considering they are organically raised, local, and free range.  Eggs were only a quarter more a dozen than I was paying in Missoula from a friend of mine.  Which actually will go away now that we have a carton because if you bring your carton back she gives you a quarter off the price.

So see?  Despite my gripes about this place there are some good things.  We have weekends to run around together as a family and go to the park or go swimming. We did both this weekend.  There is a great retro movie theater downtown.  Plus there are some great antique shops and just general downtown stores that every small town used to have.  They are still here!  Everyone seems really nice to boot. 

We've even found someone to babysit the kids.  For at least one night. We'll see how she works out and how she feels about doing it more often.  Speaking of which, I'd better get some information down for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment