I've been running for the first time in my life. As in for fun, not a forced thing to do before a sports practice. It was a bit slow at first since I had really crappy shoes and I was pushing myself too hard. My body protested, I shaped up, and we are on much better terms with each other.
I still can't get over the fact that I'm running. I've always hated to run. Something about this time is different. Maybe it is that I'm running where there is no traffic and beautiful scenery. I'm also really sick of being out of shape. I don't have a job to whip me into shape now so I have to do it myself. Plus, running is cheap. I don't have to pay someone for facilities, I don't have to buy gas to drive to those facilities, and I don't need a bunch of gear. I put on my shoes and I walk out the door and take off running.
I'm finding a couple of things. I'm noting this stuff more for myself than anyone else, just so you know. The first half of my runs suck. I don't care what the weather is or what the terrain is. The first half just sucks. Then all of a sudden I seem to hit my stride and the last half is nice. I don't huff and puff as badly, my legs don't hurt, and I feel like I could just go. I wonder if I start too fast...
I am going to have to get some running clothes. I find I am out of clothes to run in before I catch up on the laundry. Pants, shirt, socks, and a new set of running shoes. Yep, that will be more expensive than free. :) Oh well. New shoes are coming up soon. They are my present for running 6 weeks now and when I get them it will be more like 8 weeks straight. Socks will probably come about the same time. I'm thinking pants and shirt for my first race. Okay, maybe not the first since I'm probably going to do a color run for my first race. Which reminds me, I need to register for that.
I plan on doing 2 races this year. One in August and one in October. I'm pretty excited. I've never been one for running so this is a new experience for me.
I can see where a couple of things would be handy to have for running. A phone holder so I can quit trying to tuck it places while I run since I use it for my timer/pacer. A water bottle that is easier to hold or one of the hydration pack things would be nice. I would love to get where I can run further than I do now. Right now I'm at about 2 miles with my warm-up. Not bad for a very much beginner but I want to be comfortable doing 5K as a shorter run. I would love to eventually make it to running a marathon. I'll give it a bit more time to get into shape though. And in all reality, to wrap my head around that kind of mileage.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Way to go!!! I am so proud of you!!! I really need to get back into running... Hopefully soon.... :) You go girl!!! Love ya! Jo
ReplyDelete