About Me

My photo
I used to be aircraft mechanic and now I'm a homemaker. I love to garden, play with my kids, hang out with my husband, bake bread (some is good some isn't), travel, and eat.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

He's at it again.

Bear must be growing again.  We've had several days of 4 hour naps and insane amounts of food.  When he grows like this the food just disappears in my house.  The other day breakfast was a banana, an apple (or peach can't remember which), and then 2 pancakes and 2 slices of bacon and a large glass of milk.  I can't eat that much.  Granted he then didn't eat much for lunch but ate a decent dinner too.

Today was fruit for breakfast and then a roll-up (tortilla with peanut butter and honey), a yogurt, applesauce, and 2 plums for lunch.  And he was still telling me that wasn't going to last the day.  I really do dread him becoming a teenager.  I know he is going to be the kid that comes home from school, eats two huge sandwiches and then asks me what is for dinner.

It is funny the difference between the kids too.  Mia goes through her spurts too but she just doesn't pack it away like he does.  She also seems to like to make her food last as long as possible where he scarfs.  He loves fruits and veggies and she is pretty indifferent to them for the most part.  She very much as her standard foods based on chocolate milk where Bear eats pretty much anything and everything he can lay his hands on.

It makes my grocery shopping nuts too.  This week we went shopping on Friday and it is now Tuesday.  We have been through 1 bunch of bananas, a 2.5 pound box of nectarines, almost through a 2.5 pound box of peaches, 6 plums, almost through a 3.5 pound bag of apples, a clam shell of blueberries, and most of a bag of cherries.  I didn't even get any of the blueberries.  Neither did Tom.  The kids sat and had the clam shell for breakfast.  This is just the fruit that is used on top of the vegetables we get with our CSA and from our garden.  That includes lettuce, carrots, herbs, zucchini, tomatoes, onions, garlic, greens, and peas. 

Thank goodness the kids like the veggies and the fruits.  It does get pricey in the winter though.  Summer isn't too bad since the stuff is in season.  I'm looking forward to the next month.  We should start seeing peaches come up from Colorado.  I'm determined to buy a large box and can peaches this year.  I will miss the prune and apple trees we had in Montana but I'm finding plenty of other goodies here too.

I'd better see if the zucchini bread is ready yet.  It should be getting close.

No comments:

Post a Comment