I really don't like the day before payday. We tend to be out of fruit more than anything. And of course that is the day the kids pick to really want it. They haven't really cared the whole month and the day before we get paid they really want fruit. Go figure. I was going to make graham crackers today too until I realized I'd forgotten to get whole wheat flour last time I went grocery shopping. Guess that will have to wait until this weekend/tomorrow's grocery trip.
I just realized I go pick up our CSA tomorrow too. I gotta get the last 3 zucchini processed before I do because I'm sure she'll have piles for us again. I think I'll have to pick up some peppers or something so I can do up some sort of zucchini relish. I have plenty of dried zucchini. I will still build some more zucchini bread. It is a great and handy thing to have around.
Thinking about our food storage and all has me also thinking about Costco. I miss having a Costco close by. It is funny the things you take for granted until they are gone. Luckily this September we'll be headed to Colorado where there is a Costco. Yay! I can pick up some things. Granted I will probably have to slim my list a little but it will be nice to do things like pick up pecans before the holiday season starts.
I also try to stock up on all my baking supplies during the holidays. They all go on sale then so it works to pick them up then. Last year I found flour at $.99 for a 5 pound bag. Why I didn't buy more of it I don't know. I think I was in a hurry or something and then of course the sale ended. Dang!
It is funny I know folks who think they have a lot of butter when they have a couple of pounds in the fridge or freezer and I start getting really nervous when I get down to 4 pounds. That is something I like to stockpile because it is normally pretty expensive so when I find it at a good price I stash it. It keeps wonderfully in the freezer and then when I need to bake I just go to my freezer instead of the store. I'm at that point right now of being way down on my butter. That is what made me think about it. I'm hoping butter goes on sale. Unfortunately it isn't really a back to school item. :)
Speaking of back to school... Bear will be headed for school next month. Holy cow! Time sure flies. Tomorrow we'll be doing the required physical and eye exam. Then he'll be completely registered for kindergarten. A few more school supplies and probably a new pair of shoes and we'll be good. Oh, and a backpack repair. Yes, he wants his repaired not replaced. I asked. He apparently really likes his from last year. I'm good with that. Much cheaper to pull out the sewing machine and put a new bottom in than to buy a whole new backpack. I was prepared to buy a backpack though so if he changes his mind it isn't a big deal.
I'd better get off the computer and get checking on critters. Now that we have chicks and kittens I've got to get it in gear faster in the morning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment