About Me

My photo
I used to be aircraft mechanic and now I'm a homemaker. I love to garden, play with my kids, hang out with my husband, bake bread (some is good some isn't), travel, and eat.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Grab a beverage, this one is a bit long.

I'm getting very frustrated with my other blog.  I'll get a post written, spell checked, and then I'll go to post.  Nope.  The "publish post" button will not highlight to click.  So frustrating since it was highlighted just moments before the spell check process.  It has to be some sort of glitch with that.  All I know is that now 2 of my posts are gone.  Oh ya, that's the other thing.  It doesn't save the draft.  Extremely frustrating.

The first day of the missing post wasn't so bad. But yesterday's was especially frustrating because I was trying to build my list of plants for the garden, orchard, and landscaping at the new house.  I am putting the cart before the horse a little bit here as we haven't  officially purchased the place yet.  Although my plant list applies to wherever we end up.

So in light of that I may end up posting most of my garden stuff on here as well.  I hopefully will also have some yarn/fiber projects to post about as well.  Last weekend I ordered a spinning wheel.  I've been tempted to do such a thing for years.  I spun once as a kid at some craft fair but never found anyone to teach me to do it again.  I went to the Fiber Art Fair here the other day and found someone who would let me play.  Oh so much fun.  I'm signed up for a beginning spinning class that starts next week at the college and my very own wheel should be here in a couple of weeks.

In thinking about what I'll need to spin it has me thinking about what animals I could have on our new farm.  The place is pretty well set up for goats and/or sheep.  We won't get any for awhile but it is something to think about.  I'd be interested in looking at Alpacas.  Their wool is some of the most expensive and therefore would be nice to not have to buy from someone else.  I don't know if it is so expensive that it would warrant keeping that animal though.

See, I think I have an advantage and yet a disadvantage from other folks just starting a farm.  I've had animals before.  I know that a lot of work goes into having animals.  There are vet bills, hay, trimming hooves, fence mending, hair cuts, and protection from predators.  See most animals that us humans use for meat, milk, and fiber are prey animals.  Most predators look at a flock or herd as a bit of a smorgasbord.  Why not?  Here they are, all penned up just waiting to be taken.  After all, that is why us humans keep them penned as well.  Sure we don't do it right off the bat and we try to do things in a humane way but that doesn't mean that the end result is any different when concerning the meat animals.

So what does all that mean as far as advantage or disadvantage?  It means that I know what I'm in for.  That covers them both.  It means I'm more reluctant to get animals but I will hopefully know how to care for them better than someone with no experience.  I'm more inclined to weight the plusses and minuses that is for sure.  Things like the Alpacas.  Is it worth having to care for them, protect them, pay the vet bills, care for the fences, care for the pasture, shear them, and feed them?  Does that all cost less than the fiber from someone else?  Probably not.  But then too I have to ask if I would be able to make money on the excess fiber and or yarn I could spin.  Something to look into.

As you can tell there is a lot to think about in buying this farm.  And now there is a job posting at the college I would qualify for.  I've thought about it and I'm flattered that they keep talking to Tom about me for the position, but I just don't think right now is the time to go back to work.  I'm enjoying the time with my children and the lack of stress that a job puts on.  I love that we have no daycare costs.  Tom can go to meetings and I can take classes without having to worry about childcare.

Speaking of the children... They are dying for lunch and then need a nap so I'd better quit babbling on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment