About Me

My photo
I used to be aircraft mechanic and now I'm a homemaker. I love to garden, play with my kids, hang out with my husband, bake bread (some is good some isn't), travel, and eat.

Friday, September 21, 2012

Wanderings of my morning thoughts

I'm discovering as parent schedules really do get hectic during school.  We don't even have sports, band, drama, or any clubs going on yet.  This is only preschool for goodness sakes.  I guess I always kinda thought a lot of the scheduling and organizing hype was a little over the top.  I'm beginning to get it.  I can't imagine having several teenagers right now.  At least the way things work they let you ease into this whole crazy school schedule.

Somehow I have to figure out how to get it in line with everything else we have going.  Tom's schedule with school doesn't help any there either.  It is kinda fun though too.  There is lots to do on the weekends and none of it costs very much money.  That's always a plus.  Things like tonight we have a college volleyball game to go to and tomorrow Tom is running a 5K.  Well, with the cold we've had he might be walking the 5K.  Lung capacity is a good thing to have during a race.

Well, our house on the farm is getting a little closer to a reality.  We have our first inspection on Monday.  As far as I know this will be the general/pest inspection that every house goes through when one is buying a house.  After that sometime we'll have a well and septic inspection along with the appraisal.  The appraisal is the scary part.  That is what our loan hinges on.  Because of that and the type of loan we may be painting the buildings.  Which is good since we were going to do that anyway.  Then once we actually close we'll be looking at replacing a couple windows to start with and a couple of tiles need replaced.  They are just plain missing.  I think it is only 6 in the kitchen and maybe two in the bathroom.  I'm thinking we can do that for under $10.  We might splurge though and put a decorative border in the bathroom and use some of the other tiles we pull from that to replace the couple that are missing elsewhere.  That way they match in aging.  We'll see.  I am really excited about the claw foot bathtub.  I love claw foot tubs.  They are a wonderful thing to lounge in a bath.  There is no shower but that doesn't bother me.  I grew up with a tub only.  Now Tom might be bothered by that. We'll see.

I'm working on a couple of lists for the property.  They are not ready for publication yet but they are a garden list and an equipment/needs list for a farm.  Lots to think about when doing a farm even if we decide to never have critters.  There are still things like managing noxious weeds and maintaining a garden.  At least we've got our riding lawn mower with snow plow and chains.  We found it for a great deal at a yard sale.  And then we went to an auction and we got a dump cart that hitches to the lawn mower for a great deal too.  I have enough chicken supplies to get started with chicks but I will have to get a larger feeder and that sort of thing down the road.

Oh I can't wait to get my hands on our property.  Will it be easy?  No.  Will there be days I wonder why we didn't buy a little lot in town?  I'm sure.  But to have 10 acres to let two kids run on will be wonderful.  To be able to let the kids do 4-H and FFA(Future Farmers of America) animals if they want to.  Just looking at that sentence makes me wonder what happened to the FHA(Future Homemakers of America).  I'm beginning to think they should bring it back but not make it just for girls.  Everyone should have to take it.  Everyone needs to know how to prepare a basic meal, do dishes, do laundry, and balance a checkbook/debit records. 

I say this because I look at myself and many other folks that really don't know how to do anything when they move out of their parents' house.  I knew more than most of my peers but I still had/have a long way to go.  The basic home management skills just aren't there because we haven't had to do them.  And now that Home Ec. and FHA are pretty well gone there isn't anyone teaching it.  And yet we are all expected to know how to do our jobs and maintain our homes at age 18 or 19.  Is it any wonder that America has 30+ year olds moving back in with Mom and Dad?

Just things I ponder with my first couple of cups of coffee.  I don't mean to get on a soap box or anything.  But I guess I can do that since this is my blog and not anyone else's.  What it all boils down to is there is a lot going on here and my brain is going a mile-a-minute.  It is nice to not be going to work outside the home and it is nice to not have to worry about making one little mistake that may kill someone on that next flight. 

I think now that my coffee is cold I should actually get dressed and finish reading the paper and hang out with the kiddos.  Maybe I'll actually decide on paint color for the house too.

No comments:

Post a Comment