About Me

My photo
I used to be aircraft mechanic and now I'm a homemaker. I love to garden, play with my kids, hang out with my husband, bake bread (some is good some isn't), travel, and eat.

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Sunday

I love Sundays.  I get to sleep in for one.  Tom and I trade off who gets to sleep in on the weekends.  He gets Saturdays and I get Sundays.  It gives us both a break from all the nutty craziness of mornings.  Both the kids get up raring to go.  Tom and I?  Not so much. 

Right now I'm finished with my coffee, although I'm considering one more cup.  Tom has some good music going on Pandora while he grades papers, Mia is napping, and Bear is in his room for some quiet time.  Bear seems to really like having his own room.  Little sister does not like this new situation.  Last night was there first night in separate rooms since she's been born.  Well, other than the first couple months when she was in with us.  She hated it.  So much so that she ended up in his room on the floor.  He is such a nice big brother that he was singing to her to comfort her.  He is the one person who can help her stop crying when she is really upset about something.  I love that about siblings.  Brothers and sisters have such a different relationship than parents and children.  Rightly so.  We need that close friend and enemy.  I don't think there is anything wrong with a single child but I do think we learn a lot about living in a society by having siblings.  An only child just has to learn those lessons through school or some other societal group.

In other things around here.  We have Halloween events planned for tonight with some friends.  The zoo has a Halloween Spooktacular set up.  We'll go do that and see what fun is to be had before we freeze out.  Yesterday I went into an antique store and bought myself a Hoosier style Sellers kitchen cabinet.  Something I've wanted for ages.  This one needs some restoration but has most of the original hardware and guts.  I'm excited to have a real baking station with a good work surface at the right level for short me.  Most standard counter tops are too tall.  And if they are like the ones we have here they have very inconvenient cupboards over the top that make mixing difficult.  They really could have used another 2 inches or so between the bottom of the cupboard and the counter top.  Well, I fixed that.  I don't have to use it anymore after I get my Hoosier in tomorrow.  That was deal clincher.  The shop would deliver the piece for me.  Hooray!  I don't have to figure out how to get it here.

I haven't decided if I want to paint the cabinet. It is white now.  The back needs replaced and it needs cleaned.  Springs on the flour bin need cleaned and lubed.  There are some missing latches that need either found or made.  Beyond that though mostly it needs a good scrub.

We may not have our farm but I have the beginnings of my farm kitchen.  Someday I'd like a wood cook stove too.  I don't think I'll get that until I have a place all set up for it and a pickup to haul it and several strong men to help with the hauling and lifting into place.  Those cast iron stoves are worse than the old cast iron tubs.

I suppose I should get going on a few chores around here.  Like laundry and vacuuming.  Maybe I'll get going on making some Christmas presents too.  Maybe if I start now I might get a couple done in time for Christmas.  Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment