About Me

My photo
I used to be aircraft mechanic and now I'm a homemaker. I love to garden, play with my kids, hang out with my husband, bake bread (some is good some isn't), travel, and eat.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Conversation with Bear

I probably should keep better track of these things.  I think all moms will relate though.  You get busy and realize months have gone by and what you wanted to get done just didn't happen.  But I'm going to actually get this one down.

We've been looking at houses to buy.  If you read this blog you know that.  We are looking at mostly small farms.  After looking at one we were in the car headed for supper and asked Bear what kind of animals he might want.  Well, this one we'd been looking at had sheep in the pasture so he said sheep.  "What are you going to name your sheep Bear?"

"Shayla and Gayla.  They're girls."

"Oh ya."

Then he proceeded to tell us how they were going to dress up as Belle and Cinderella for Halloween next year and that they can out run bears because they have jet packs.  Not jet shoes, jet packs.  Oh and they and Buddy (our Border Collie) will be friends, and they will have babies, and we can give them hair cuts and I can spin their wool into yarn.  All this was said with such enthusiasm it was hard to argue.

He has also wanted to have pigs.  I'm good with sheep.  Not with pigs.  Don't get me wrong I would love to have a whole hog in the freezer for winter but I don't think I'm good with raising a pig or butchering myself.  Well, butchering not so bad, but the killing is not so fun.  I'm thinking will buy our whole hog from a local producer.  Besides, Bear says we can't raise a pig for the pork so no pigs for us.

I think Shayla and Gayla would be great sheep names.  Hopefully if we get the one place our neighbor will sell us a sheep or two.  Or we'll pick up a bum lamb or two and bottle feed.  Sheep will sometimes end up with twins or triplets and as one woman I know put it, sometimes moms can't count so that other lamb doesn't get taken care of.

We are still waiting to hear on a property we put an offer in on.  Hopefully it is meant to happen.  We need to move.  Our rental sold and the new owners want to occupy.  And we don't want to occupy this place.  We just hope the timing is right for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment