I was just looking over the stats for this blog. Apparently posting to Facebook and putting a recipe up gets traffic. I think more people read my last post than any other post on here. I hope everyone who tries the recipe gets great results too. Mom always takes these buns to potlucks, parties, and holiday gatherings. Usually at every one's request. There is always a running joke about Mom's buns being the best around.
I've been making a lot of these lately. It sure helps out to reduce the grocery bill. If I keep baking like this though I'm going to have to get another 25 pounds of flour soon. I'm amazed by how quickly one goes through the flour. Talking about buying in bulk... I'm excited since Tom goes to a conference this weekend and gets to go to a town that has a Costco. I didn't think I would miss that store but it turns out I do. We have a few select items that we get there. Tom has a list that is to fill. I am thinking it will save us money having it far away though. This way we only will go once or twice a year as opposed to every month.
I find it interesting to read other articles and blogs about saving money and planning. I'm horrible about planning for the most part. I do a few things though that I learned growing up with very little money. Baking your own bread, eating oatmeal, and buying in bulk when sales are going all work very well. Things like dry beans help too. They can be purchased inexpensively and cooked in a crock pot by themselves and then frozen and used like canned at a fraction of the price. We do pay a price for convenience. It is amazing to me how much you can save if you do a bit for yourself. Of course that only works if you have the time. If you don't have the time sometimes it is well worth paying for the convenience.
Okay, I think I'm done with that little rant. :) We've had unseasonably warm weather. The kids spent yesterday in the sandbox outside in t-shirts. Beginning of November and we were all running around in around 70 degrees. This weekend we are supposed to have winter weather. We may get snow but we are supposed to get wind and cold for sure. They were calling for -10 to -15 just north of us. Sure can change quickly.
The cold weather seems more appropriate for Thanksgiving. It just won't feel right if it is warm. I'm hoping we'll have lots of people here for the day. I love making a large turkey dinner. For not really liking to cook otherwise that is one meal I enjoy putting together. I think because it is my style of cooking. Baking, potatoes, and roasting meat. That I can do.
This turned into quite the random post. Oh well. I suppose if you know me, you know I can bounce subjects like this a lot.
We have a lot going on right now. Tom has a conference for work, Bear has school and a school program coming up, Turkey day is going to be upon us before I know it, Mia just is herself (which is turning into quite the character), and I'm considering applying for a part time job. Oh, and we are trying to find a more permanent home. The search continues there. Fingers are crossed there.
Speaking of the kids. Mia has taken to wearing her monkey Halloween costume all the time. We had an utter melt down last night because we pulled it off her so she could actually get some sleep. We were going to let her sleep in it, but it kept waking her up. We pulled it off and oh. my. goodness. We spent the next 45 minutes to an hour getting her to settle down. Of course at that point we had said no to the monkey so we had to stick to our guns. Hard to do at almost midnight but we managed. Of course, she is right back in it this morning. I have a feeling she'll be in it all day.
Well, in regards to today I'd better get going on the day. It is beautiful out there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment